8 marketing tactics for your SaaS
As a software business owner, you know that marketing is key to your success. But what are the best tactics for marketing your SaaS product? In this post, we'll share 8 of our favourite marketing tactics for SaaS businesses.
Whether you're just starting out or you've been in business for a while, these tips will help you reach more customers and grow your business. So read on to learn more!
1. Product marketing
Product marketing is the process of bringing a product to market and generating interest among potential customers. It involves all aspects of creating, promoting, and selling a product or service, from research and development to advertising and sales. Product marketing helps ensure that the right products are developed and brought to market in a way that maximises their appeal to customers and drives sales.
Product marketing is a dynamic and ever-changing field, as companies must continually adapt their strategies to keep up with the latest changes in technology, consumer behaviour, and the competitive landscape. The most successful product marketers are those who are able to constantly innovate and find new ways to reach and engage customers.
Product marketing helps you to:
• Build an audience and communicate effectively.
• Align marketing activity with product development.
• Gather and share feedback from end-users.
2. Search engine optimisation (SEO)
SEO is important for any website that wants to rank high in search engine results, but it is especially crucial for SaaS products. This is because SEO can help new SaaS products gain traction and scale by increasing their visibility online. In addition, SEO can also help SaaS providers improve their conversion rates and save money on marketing by making sure that they are found by the right people.
All of these factors make SEO an essential part of any SaaS product's growth strategy.
SEO is important because:
• Results continue to improve the more content you produce.
• It helps create brand authority.
• It’s cheaper than paid advertising in the long term, so reduces your customer acquisition cost (CAC).
3. Knowledge leadership content
As a SaaS company, one of your marketing objectives should be to establish yourself as a knowledge leader in your industry. After all, customers are more likely to purchase from a company that they perceive as an expert in their field.
One way to achieve this is through content marketing. By creating and sharing high-quality content, you can position yourself and your company as a thought-leader in your space. This can also be achieved by investing time in building the personal brands of your key personnel and building their reputation as experts in your field.
This can also be a key strategy to win on social media, as in our trials content posted by individuals can achieve 10-20x the results of content posted on company pages due to the way the engagement algorithms are developed.
Suggestions of ways to develop knowledge leadership:
• Participate in podcasts or vodcasts.
• Host webinars with other voices of authority on the same topic.
• Write long-form content like insights and whitepapers.
• Seek out speaking slots at relevant conferences or events.
• Produce research and data to evolve your thinking.
4. Referral marketing
Referral marketing is one of the most effective marketing tactics for SaaS businesses. By getting customers and clients to refer new business your way, you can quickly grow your customer base and generate new leads.
There are a few key things to keep in mind when implementing a referral marketing campaign:
1. Make it easy for customers and clients to refer you. Provide them with referral links, and shareable content, and make sure your contact information is up-to-date.
2. Offer an incentive for referrals. This could be a future discount, early product access, product development access, loyalty rewards, etc.
3. Keep track of your referrals. As a SaaS company, it's important to keep track of your referrals so you can properly credit them for any new business they bring in. By doing so, you can also keep track of your best marketing channels and ensure that you're allocating your resources efficiently.
Benefits of referral marketing can include:
• Lower cost per acquisition and customer churn rate.
• Higher customer retention rate.
• Strong brand connection and improvement of brand awareness.
• Improved customer experience, NPS and customer lifetime value.
5. Paid advertising
PPC can be an effective marketing tool for SaaS companies, as it allows you to reach your target audience with laser precision. By targeting your ads to those who are searching for keywords related to your product or service, you can ensure that your message is seen by those who are most likely to be interested in what you have to offer.
In order to make the most of your PPC campaigns, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
First, make sure that your ad copy is compelling and relevant to your target audience. Your ads should be clear and concise and should focus on the benefits of your product or service.
Secondly, make use of negative keywords to ensure that your ads are only shown to those who are actually searching for what you have to offer.
Lastly, keep an eye on your campaign performance and make adjustments as necessary to ensure that you are getting the best return on your investment.
By following these tips, you can be sure that your PPC campaigns will be effective in driving traffic and leads to your SaaS business.
Paid advertising is an effective way of:
• Promoting your product or service directly to your target audience.
• Generating new business leads.
• Easily adapt your messaging, audience and other factors to get the best returns on your investment.
• Creating highly targeted ads, with a high chance of return even with a low budget.#
6. Community building
Building a community of people connected to your organisation creates a clear point of differentiation between you and your competitors. A loyal community supports upselling and provides users with a useful product knowledge bank.
An engaged community will also hugely help search engine ranking and support product research & product development. This will all contribute positively to profitability and cost reduction.
To get started with building an online community you need to:
• Define a space such as a forum or social channel, in which your community exists.
• Create content that adds value to members, creating two-way communication through open forums, surveys and incentives.
• Generate engagement from people with influence in your field or network.
• Host virtual or physical events with live, engaging and inclusive content.
7. Public relations
When it comes to marketing your SaaS business, PR can be a powerful tool. By getting media coverage for your company, you can reach a wide audience and build up your brand recognition.
But how do you go about getting PR for your SaaS business?
Here are a few tips:
• Start by identifying the journalists and publications that cover your industry. This will help you narrow down where to pitch your story idea.
• Come up with a story angle that will be of interest to the media. Remember, it's not all about you - it's about what newsworthy angle you can offer the media outlet and their readership.
• Write a great press release and pitch email. This is your chance to really sell your story and make it irresistible to the media.
• Follow up with the journalists you pitch. A polite follow-up can go a long way in getting your story noticed.
If you follow these tips, you'll be well on your way to getting some great PR for your SaaS business.
8. Webinars & Events
Events and webinars can be excellent marketing tools for your SaaS business. They provide an opportunity to reach a large audience of potential customers and build awareness for your brand.
Additionally, they can be used to generate leads and sales. To maximise the benefits of using events and webinars for marketing, consider the following:
• Make sure your event or webinar is relevant to your target market.
• Promote your event or webinar through multiple channels, including email, social media, and paid advertising.
• Create a landing page on your website specifically for event or webinar registrations.
• Provide value during the event or webinar itself – don’t make it a sales pitch.
• Follow up with attendees after the event or webinar to thank them for participating and offer additional resources.
By following these tips, you can use events and webinars to effectively market your SaaS business and achieve your desired results.
It's over to you...
We hope these tips have given you some ideas about how you can improve your SaaS marketing tactics.
If you’d like help putting these principles into practice, get in touch.
Our team of experts would be happy to assist you in creating a campaign that drives results.